Learn, Grow, and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you'll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation's health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
Department: Facilities and Maintenance
Job Posting Date: 3/7/2023
Wages: $9 per hour (starting)
PLEASE STOP BY THE Y FOR AN APPLICATION OR CALL (252)638-8799
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Cleans and sanitizes assigned areas, including such duties as mopping, vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, and trash removal. May complete duties related to window washing, meeting set up, snow/ice removal, laundry, and other related responsibilities.
- Ensures Y is attractive, clean, and inviting by completing all duties listed on the daily schedule and maintains upkeep of assigned areas and equipment. May perform wet and dry mopping, laundry, dusting, trash removal, recycling, window washing, vacuuming, and general cleaning of multiple type of surfaces.
- Records and reports all needed repairs; repairs as directed.
- Perform laundry services.
- Replaces soap, paper towels, and other supplies.
- May set up furniture for meetings/special events.
- Assists the Property Director in the completion of Preventative Maintenance tasks (PM’s) as requested.
- Participates in fundraising events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- High School Graduate or equivalent preferred.
- Preferred six months or more of related experience.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions, procedures, manuals, and other documents.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment.
- Understanding of cleaning compounds and chemicals, and their safe, efficient use.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to carry out essential duties.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time up to 8 hours per shift.
- Ability to work with paint, cleaning equipment, chemical compounds, solvents, cleaners, and solutions in dry, liquid, powder, spray, and aerosol forms.
- Ability to work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
- Ability to perform essential cleaning of the facility which may involve, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead; crouching; kneeling; shoveling; carrying; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back.