Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you'll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation's health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
Status: F/T based on experience and certifications
Revision Date: 5/15/2018
Wages: $10-$14 per hour
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Position requires trade knowledge in the following areas: HVAC, Commercial Plumbing, Electrical, Carpentry, and Motors/Pumps. May complete duties related to but not limited to: housekeeping, meetings/special event set up, pool maintenance, snow/ice removal, grounds keeping, and other related responsibilities.
- Ensures Y is attractive, clean and operationally sound by completing all duties listed on the daily schedule and maintains upkeep of assigned areas and equipment. Work will vary from day to day, and will encompass both indoor and outdoor projects.
- Must have solid mechanical background & abilities and be able to troubleshoot and provide solutions to issues that arise (critical thinking skills).
- Operates related motorized and non-motorized equipment. (hand tools and power tools)
- Records and reports all needed repairs; repairs as directed.
- Ensures YMCA building and property is secure during shift and report incidents and hazardous conditions to supervisor.
- Perform and complete PM’s on a monthly basis
- Participates in fundraising events
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Nine – Twelve months or more of related experience preferred.
- Trade Certifications preferred, but not required.
- Certifications: Current CPR/AED & First Aid preferred, required within six months of hiring.
- Must be able to identify and properly use hand and power tools. (demonstration required)
- Basic computer skills preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions, procedures, manuals, blueprints, and other documents.
- Ability to report and record maintenance requests.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to carry out essential duties.
- Ability to erect and stand on ladders and platforms at heights up to 30 feet.
- Ability to work with paint, cleaning equipment, chemical compounds, solvents, cleaners, and solutions in dry, liquid, powder, spray, and aerosol forms.
- Ability to paint, clean equipment, and operate motorized equipment as needed.
- Ability to work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
- Ability to perform essential maintenance to facility or equipment which may involve, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead; crouching; kneeling; shoveling; carrying, working in narrow and/or confining spaces: underground, overhead, and at ground level; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back.
Group Exercise Instructor
Department: Health & Wellness
Posting Date: 10/20/2017
Wages: $12 per hour
General Function: Works under the direct supervision of the Health and Wellness Director in harmony with the Christian values and the purpose of the YMCA. The Group Exercise Instructor will be directly responsible and accountable for assisting in the development and supervision of the Group Exercise Program.
Know How: The Group Exercise Instructor must demonstrate a personal commitment to the mission of the YMCA. He/She must set the example for other to follow. Good communication skills (written and verbal) are essential, along with the ability to work effectively with people as a team. Must be able to promote the programs and services of the YMCA, dress appropriately to fit the task, friendly, and exhibit good health habits. This position requires good organizational skills, strong human relation skills, and the ability to adapt to a changing environment. The ability to maintain harmonious relationships with staff, volunteers, members, and guests are essential.
- Work closely with the Health and Wellness Director to develop the needs of the Group Exercise Program
- Find appropriate substitute coverage and substitute for other Group Exercise Instructors as needed
- Create a positive working environment and encourage and motivate others to become more involved in the YMCA
- Maintain and evaluate the current Group Exercise equipment, reporting the needs of the program to the Health and Wellness Director
- Plan and implement new classes, employing new music and choreography to maintain member interest
- Demonstrate proper form/technique and verbally cue members; correct form is necessary
- Set-up, store, and secure equipment upon completion of class
- The Group Exercise Instructor will maintain their certifications and stay current with exercise techniques
- Attend meetings when requested
- Participate in fundraising events
Accountability: The Group Exercise Instructor will report directly to the Health and Wellness Director. He/She will be responsible for the successful delivery and development of the Group Exercise Program.
Position Requirements: Must have specific knowledge of exercise training in regard to the classes that are taught; current Adult CPR and AED certification; a national recognized group fitness certification (ACE, AFAA, YMCA, etc. and/or a nationally recognized personal trainer certification (ACSM, NSCA, ACE, AFAA, etc.)
Posting Date: 3/5/2018
Wages: $7.25 - $10.00 per hour
General Function: Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director in harmony with the Christian values and purpose of this Association and in accordance with the policies of the Association, the Lifeguard will be directly responsible and accountable for the management and safety and quality of the delivery of Aquatic programs and services.
- Oversees safety and quality of delivery of programs and services and provides appropriate feedback.
- Displays excellent verbal and written communications skills with members, guests, staff and volunteers.
- Maintain constant surveillance of pool water and deck areas.
- Enforce aquatic rules and procedures. Know emergency procedures.
- Assists in creating a positive welcoming environment for members, guests and staff to achieve the YMCA mission.
- Provides daily status report of activity to Aquatics Director and/or Aquatic Coordinator.
- Maintain order in pool areas insuring members and guests follow all YMCA rules.
- Maintain clean and orderly aquatic area and equipment.
- Documents, and communicates to appropriate staff, deficiencies in YMCA building and equipment.
- Flexibility to work days nights weekends and holidays.
- Participate in YMCA fundraising initiatives.
- Maintain pools & pool areas within good practice guidelines & regulations.
- Lifeguard and teach aquatic programs as needed.
- Handle customer questions, complaints, etc. in a professional manner.
- Rotate opening & closing of pools with guard team.
- Assist Aquatic Director in the process of developing grants, contracted services, volunteerism, collaborative efforts, and new programs and links to services to promote overall YMCA initiatives.
- Attend meetings when requested.
- Participate in fundraising events.
- Participate in delivery of services to members to ensure excellence.
- Other supervisory duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability:
- Work closely and have good communication with the Aquatics Director and/or Aquatics Coordinator.
- Set a positive example for subordinate staff to follow in work ethic, communication skills, attitude, resourcefulness, and professionalism.
- Computer literacy including proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and the ability to learn and effectively use other YMCA specific software.
- Demonstrated excellence interpersonal and customer service/relations skills including verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide variety of people including YMCA personnel, public, and volunteers.
- Demonstrates the Y core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility through all daily activities and responsibilities.
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail.
- Solid organizational skills to coordinate multiple responsibilities efficiently with the ability to meet required deadlines.
- Must be able to maintain appropriate confidentially of sensitive financial, personal, and member information.
- Current Lifeguard certification.
- At least 15 years of age.
- Must be able to lift, pull, and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to sit, stand, stoop, bend, twist.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to practice good listening skills, and speak clearly.
- Work outside in varying weather conditions.
- Proficient swimming ability as required to maintain certifications.
Accountability: The Group Exercise Instructor will report directly to the Aquatics Director.