Learn, Grow, and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you'll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation's health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
Posting Date: 12/17/2018
Wages: $7.25 - $10.00 per hour
General Function: Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director in harmony with the Christian values and purpose of this Association and in accordance with the policies of the Association, the Lifeguard will be directly responsible and accountable for the management and safety and quality of the delivery of Aquatic programs and services.
- Oversees safety and quality of delivery of programs and services and provides appropriate feedback.
- Displays excellent verbal and written communications skills with members, guests, staff and volunteers.
- Maintain constant surveillance of pool water and deck areas.
- Enforce aquatic rules and procedures. Know emergency procedures.
- Assists in creating a positive welcoming environment for members, guests and staff to achieve the YMCA mission.
- Provides daily status report of activity to Aquatics Director and/or Aquatic Coordinator.
- Maintain order in pool areas insuring members and guests follow all YMCA rules.
- Maintain clean and orderly aquatic area and equipment.
- Documents, and communicates to appropriate staff, deficiencies in YMCA building and equipment.
- Flexibility to work days nights weekends and holidays.
- Participate in YMCA fundraising initiatives.
- Maintain pools & pool areas within good practice guidelines & regulations.
- Lifeguard and teach aquatic programs as needed.
- Handle customer questions, complaints, etc. in a professional manner.
- Rotate opening & closing of pools with guard team.
- Assist Aquatic Director in the process of developing grants, contracted services, volunteerism, collaborative efforts, and new programs and links to services to promote overall YMCA initiatives.
- Attend meetings when requested.
- Participate in fundraising events.
- Participate in delivery of services to members to ensure excellence.
- Other supervisory duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability:
- Work closely and have good communication with the Aquatics Director and/or Aquatics Coordinator.
- Set a positive example for subordinate staff to follow in work ethic, communication skills, attitude, resourcefulness, and professionalism.
- Computer literacy including proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and the ability to learn and effectively use other YMCA specific software.
- Demonstrated excellence interpersonal and customer service/relations skills including verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide variety of people including YMCA personnel, public, and volunteers.
- Demonstrates the Y core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility through all daily activities and responsibilities.
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail.
- Solid organizational skills to coordinate multiple responsibilities efficiently with the ability to meet required deadlines.
- Must be able to maintain appropriate confidentially of sensitive financial, personal, and member information.
- Current Lifeguard certification.
- At least 15 years of age.
- Must be able to lift, pull, and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to sit, stand, stoop, bend, twist.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to practice good listening skills, and speak clearly.
- Work outside in varying weather conditions.
- Proficient swimming ability as required to maintain certifications.
Accountability: The Group Exercise Instructor will report directly to the Aquatics Director.